Our Branches

Lettings Office;
7 Ballards Lane
Finchley Central
N3 1UX

e: hello@simonclarke.co.uk

t: 020 8349 9000

Property Management;
7 Ballards Lane
Finchley Central
N3 1UX

e: management@simonclarke.co.uk

t: 020 8492 2530

Landlord Obligations

Landlord Obligations

Rights as a UK landlord

As a landlord you’ll need to get to grips with a number of rules and regulations as well as legislative changes which can affect a tenancy and the letting of a property. Many landlords opt for a fully managed service taking this burden away. All staff at Simon Clarke have an extensive understanding on the rules and regulations and we are up to date with any changes to landlord and tenant law. There are many legal aspects of letting and property management but below we have highlighted the key points you must follow:

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)

EPC’s are needed whenever a property is rented. As a landlord you must order an EPC for potential tenants before you market your property to rent.

EICRs (Electrical Inspection Condition Reports)

All tenancy agreements from April 2021 shall require an EICR. The EICR will need to be served on the tenant and the commencement of the tenancy

Gas Safety Regulations

The law (Gas Safety (Installation and use) regulations 1998) states that a current gas safety record must be produced and given to a tenant before they move in.

Furniture & furnishings fire safety Regulations

Furniture & furnishings fire safety Regulations

The regulations state that the soft furnishings made or re-upholstered must meet safety standards and be labelled as such. The regulations covers items such as Beds, headboards, mattresses and bed-bases, Sofa beds and futons, Sofas, armchairs and footstools, if they contain upholstery (soft coverings)

Electrical Equipment and Safety Regulations

Electrical Equipment and Safety Regulations

The Electrical Equipment and Safety Regulations say you must ensure that the electrics are safe, with operating instructions and safety notices supplied before a letting commences. Get your electrics regularly checked by a qualified electrician.

Portable appliance testing (PAT)

Portable appliance testing (PAT)

Portable appliance testing (PAT) is the term used to describe the examination of electrical appliances and equipment to ensure they are safe to use.

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Regulations (2015)

Regulations 2022 From the 1st October 2022 all relevant landlords must ensure at least one smoke alarm is equipped on each storey of their homes where there is a room used as living accommodation, ensure a carbon monoxide alarm is equipped in any room used as living accommodation which contains a fixed combustion appliance (excluding gas cookers) & ensure smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms are repaired or replaced once informed and found that they are faulty.


You must put any deposit paid by the tenant in a government-approved tenancy deposit protection scheme if you have an assured shorthold tenancy. The schemes are; Deposit Protection Service (Custodial and Insured), MyDeposits, Tenancy Deposit Scheme. You must put your deposit in any of the above schemes within 30 days of the deposit being paid. Simon Clarke are members of the TDS and can offer deposit protection. Please talk to a member of staff for further information.


Some privately rented homes in London need a property licence. This can include mandatory HMO, additional HMO or selective licencing. Property Licencing helps councils to crack down on rouge landlords. It can protect the health and safety of tenants and improve the quality of privately rented homes. 

What our clients says

Our team have built a wealth of knowledge and experise in their respective sectors.


Overall rating of our service our clients have received


How well we do understand you as our customers


Client satisfaction with our services