Our Branches

Lettings Office;
7 Ballards Lane
Finchley Central
N3 1UX

e: hello@simonclarke.co.uk

t: 020 8349 9000

Property Management;
7 Ballards Lane
Finchley Central
N3 1UX

e: management@simonclarke.co.uk

t: 020 8492 2530



What references and checks are carried out?

  • Credit Score Bankruptcy CCJ / Court Decree
  • Personal identity check
  • Verification of current home address
  • Verification of home address for the last three years
  • Report on detrimental credit history
  • Current Landlord / Managing Agent reference
  • Employer’s reference & financial checks
  • Previous Employer’s reference (if applicable)

What if I am self employed?

You will require either three years certified accounts from your accountant/auditor OR three years worth of tax returns confirming your income. If you are in a position where this is not possible then a guarantor may be required or you can offer to pay the full rent in advance for the term of the tenancy

What is a guarantor?

If your financial reference is weak for any reason you may require a guarantor to support your tenancy. A guarantor needs to have strong financial references as they will have to be responsible to guarantee to the Landlord:

1) payment by the Tenant of the rent due under the tenancy agreement and
2) due performance of the Tenant’s covenants and obligations contained in the tenancy agreement.

NB: A guarantor must be UK based and a Homeowner.

A guarantor must complete a Diligent reference application form. This application form asks for personal information and is used to conduct a Credit Assessment. A charge of £50.00 + VAT is made to each guarantor.

What if I am retired?

You will need to provide proof of a pension to cover the rent or an income from Shares or Investments; alternatively you can offer to pay the full rent in advance for the term of the tenancy. A guarantor may still be required.

Do you accept DSS or Housing Benefit?

Sorry, no.

Do you have properties available for short term letting?
Unfortunately, no. Most of our properties are available for at least one year at a time. Some Landlords may allow for a mutual break clause, this is often two month’s notice after, but not before the sixth month. Some Landlords may sometimes, although not always, accept a Tenancy for six months.

Am I allowed pets?

Not unless specifically defined and agreed in advance. Many blocks are restricted to pets by head leases, which Landlords must obey. If you require a property that does allow pets then please let us know and we will do our best to find a suitable property for you.

How do I pay my rent?

Rent is paid monthly by standing order from your bank and is normally set up to leave your account 3 days prior to your rent due date (this is typically the date on which you moved in, although not always). Be sure to tell us if your circumstances change, for instance you change banks or your employment situation changes as we can lend advice

Do I need contents insurance?

Yes! You must insure your contents, as the landlord’s insurance cover the actual property/goods, but not your possessions. Please ask a member of staff for details on companies we can recommend to you who specialise in this type of insurance for tenants.

Who pays the council tax and other bills?

You do, unless otherwise stated. As the tenant you are responsible for opening accounts with the utility companies when you move into a property. These include gas, electricity, water, council tax, TV licensing, telephone and broadband etc. You should take the meter readings at the start and end of your tenancy.

Who sets up the Utilities?

At Simon Clarke Letting Agents we are committed to providing the best possible service to our new and renewing tenants. As part of this commitment, we have teamed up with Tenant Shop, the award winning service that will ensure you get the best possible deals for your media requirements and the most cost effective solutions for your home energy needs.

• Tenant Shop can offer covert media prices to all of our renewing tenants. This includes home phone, broadband and TV packages with the UK’s leading media providers (Sky, Virgin, BT and many more).
• Tenant Shop can also provide a price comparison to ensure you are on the cheapest possible energy tariff for your home. Their affiliation with 30+ of the UK’s energy suppliers means you can make sure you never pay too much for your energy ever again.

This service is totally free of charge.

What does joint and several mean?

This means that when more than one person comprise the Tenant, they will each be responsible for complying with the Tenant’s obligations under the tenancy agreement both individually and together.

Unfurnished or Furnished?

Each property is let with different levels of furnishings. Unfurnished normally means carpets and white goods only. Furnished will tend to include living room furniture, dining furniture, beds and wardrobes, etc.

Is my deposit protected?

From 6th April 2007, all deposits paid to a landlord or agent for an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement in England and Wales, must be protected by a Government authorised Tenancy Deposit Scheme. Simon Clarke is a member of the Tenancy Deposit Scheme.

If I have any problems during my tenancy who do I contact?

If your property is managed by Simon Clarke then you can email your enquiry to management@simonclarke.co.uk or call 020 8492 2530. If your property is not managed by Simon Clarke you would contact your Landlord directly.

What if i have a complaint? 

From time to time things can go wrong and leave you feeling dissatisfied with the service you have received. In this event we ask for you to bring this to the attention of a branch manager or department head.

If the response you receive is not satisfactory you should notify us in writing to our Head Office and the matter will be escalated to the relevant Director. They will make a separate review and reply as quickly as possible (at the most within 14 days of receipt).

Complaints Department
Simon Clarke Letting Agents
1306 High Road
N20 9HJ

Should this fail to resolve the matter you can refer your complaint to:

The Property Ombudsman (TPO)

Milford House, 43-55 Milford Street, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP1 2BP

Tel: 01722 333306.  www.tpos.co.uk

The TPO will provide an impartial review of the complaint. Their service is free of charge. They are only able to consider complaints that have gone through our internal procedures.